Thursday, October 6, 2011

Letter From A Fan

Hey all! We received an awesome email from a fan the other day, and we loved it so much we wanted to share it with you. :)

"Dear Her Interactive,

When I was in the second grade I was presented with a book order form and on the back was a small advertisement for Treasure In the Royal Tower. Since the name Nancy Drew was tagged on to it, my curiosity was piqued. I begged my mother to buy me the game and I returned the next day with my book order form. I remember waiting the four weeks for the order to come in, and it felt like ages. I also remember receiving the box, along with a magnifying glass necklace, and I was stoked. I played through the game as fast as I could. I can now close my eyes and relive the sweaty palms and fast heart rate I experienced when breaking into the castle's library. I learned so much from that first game I played, and I was addicted. I purchased the earlier games and played through them as well, and over the years my cousin has blessed me every Christmas with two new games. It has been about ten years since my first Nancy Drew experience, but I can't even begin to explain how much the games impacted me.

I am now studying interactive entertainment at the University of Southern California, a dream school for video game design. I never thought I would end up in a field such as this, or a school unite as good, but looking back it makes sense through my avid love of the Nancy Drew games. Now as the rain pours down outside in an uncharacteristically rainy day, I will pick one of my favorite ND games and enjoy my afternoon. Thank you so much for continuing making these wonderful games, and someday I do hope to make it out to the Her Interactive studio!

Warmly from a huge fan,
M. D."

Glad to hear more girls are going into game design!
~Little Jackalope~

5 comments:

randomNDfan said...

I'd love to get into game design! id it hard? is it sort of fun? just woundering!

Hannah said...

Oh that was such a wonderful letter! I think that "M.D" might go on to be a writer as well! That actually made me a little emotional, I'm sure we all have fond memories of the first time we played a Nancy Drew game. (My first games were FIN and TRT and I played them with my Dad) Thank you for sharing it! It must mean a lot to see how much your work means to girls worldwide.

Little Jackalope said...

randomNDfan:
There are several different parts that play into game design, you could be a programmer, artist, marketer, writer or designer. I hear that it takes work to learn each job, but that's where college helps :)

It is only hard when tough situations come up, but we like those times because we tackle them like puzzles in the Nancy Drew games.

Of course it's fun! We love doing what we do! XD

Little Jackalope said...

Hannah:

Yes, it's very rewarding to hear that the games inspired others!

It's true that we all have fond memories about the first Nancy Drew games we played. Is FIN or TRT one of your favorites because they were your firsts? :)

Melody said...

That was a great letter. Maybe you could do a series post talking in more detail about each part of game design.