Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Nancy and SPY

I'm excited to hear that everyone is loving the newly-released cover art for The Silent Spy! I'm also aware that many of you are hesitant with how we are handling the story about Nancy's mom. This is understandable, since it's on a more personal level to all of us.

I will leave it up to you to decide if you think we handled Nancy's world correctly. After all, you know our games as well as we do! And be sure to give the game a try when it becomes available so that you may judge for yourself and post your review to our Message Boards. :)

For now, I can offer my behind-the-scenes, long-time-Nancy-Drew-Super-Fan opinion, which may differ from yours once you have played the game, which is ok.

My early review: This is a REALLY fun game, like Warnings at Waverly Academy or Shadow at the Water's Edge or Curse of Blackmoor Manor, even if it has a different "flavor" than those mysteries. The story is outstanding, and yes, personal. The story is beautifully written and presented, honoring the Nancy Drew canon, and respecting the Nancy Drew universe. There are parts that will make you cry, as it did for me, and there are parts where you may feel like you are in danger (YES! Cannot have a game without danger!). Ultimately, it's a grand adventure well worth playing. And I've played it 6 times already.

Tomorrow I may talk about the Nancy Drew universe or "canon". Until then, may I offer you a challenge? Start reading as many different Nancy Drew books (in different printing, old and new) as you can, do a little research and comment back on this blog post with what you find about Nancy's mom. you may be surprised at what you will (or will not) find...!

On another note, take a look at what's on my computer right now: Cover art for the merchandise store!



This art isn't complete, yet, but it will be soon enough!

~Little Jackalope~

16 comments:

Chelsea said...

Honestly, I've been thrilled about SPY's plot ever since the teaser release. I so admire Her Interactive for taking a character beloved by so many and giving her personal challenges and journeys, complicating her life and making her more human than ever. I have the utmost confidence in you guys, and seeing this post put the biggest smile on my face. Our characters are in the very best hands. Thank you! :)

Anonymous said...

Well, I recently re-read The Mystery of the Fire Dragon and found that Nancy's mother died of an illness. I'm pretty sure that is not a consistent fact in all books though.

Rachel Stevens said...

Hey LJ, I was wondering if there was some way you could mail me Megan Gaiser's autograph before she leaves. I'd love to have it and frame it :)

Anonymous said...

Would you say this is your favorite game?

Anonymous said...

I will admit I am nervous about this game, but if you're comparing it to Warnings at Waverly Academy and Curse of Blackmoore Manor (which are a couple of my favorites) then I'm sure it must be fine :) I look forward to it and am getting pretty excited. Unfortunately I don't have many if the old nancy drew books, but I might borrow some and do some research :)
~L.S.

ND's #1 fan said...

Cool! I'm already REALLY excited for SPY, but now I'm even more excited!
And, cool artwork but what was that thing you redded-out on the 1st one? (I know redded-out is not a word, but it's the only thing I could think of lol) are you guys adding a new product to the merch. store? But it's a surprise? hmmmmmmmmm...

Kara said...

This is from my readings over the years. Nancy's mom originally died when she was ten. It was later moved to three when the books were revised. Her mother died from a prolonged illness and her maiden name was Austin. In addition, a few of the books, particularly the Whistling Bagpipes, mentions heirlooms from Nancy's mother.

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I love the cover!I blogged about it yesterday.(:
I've learned a lot about Kate.I know that her name (or this name) was never mentioned in the books,that her maiden was Austin and that,in the the earlier books, she died of an unknown illness (in the later books she died in a car crash).In the origional 56,she died when Nancy was 10,in the revised versions,she died when Nancy was three.
I'm excited for this game but I will be very disappointed If M.r Drew is not a character (or at least a phone friend).
Those are great merchandise pictures,but what word did you cross out?
Bye!

ruthie said...

Hello LJ. LOVE the cover art! I looked at it for like 5 minutes and noticed something that can prove the mystery person on the game cover. Using my detective skills I notice that the person on the cover has blue eyes. hmmm? Nancy has blue eyes as Carolyn Keene describes in the books. And the mystery person has red hair. Nancy has redish hair too! hmm... so all clues point to KATE DREW! is it?

Anonymous said...

Tell Meagan She's awesome and we'll miss her!

Susanne said...

Hey LJ!
Could you do a birthday shout out for Susanne??? Thank you! Her birthday is August 29th so sorry for the late notice, hope you get this in time! Love your blog!
Susanne

Bad Wolf said...

Well I have read a lot of Nancy Drew books and from what I read, Carolyn Keen never really told much about Nancy Drews mother. all that I know is that she died when she was just 3, and I think she died in a car accident. But I could be wrong...Im still trying to find out more thou...

CJNecklace said...

The main thing I remember about her mom is that she died at an early age so Hannah(the "servant") is like a mom to Nancy...at least in the yellow Nancy Drew books...But SPY's plot sounds awesome and I'm super excited to play it!!!

Anonymous said...

I can't get the books to read :( but I feel better hearing that our concerns have been taken into consideration and that you think it'll turn out well done.

Allison the Writer said...

I noticed on the merchandise image for ... the redhaired spy woman, where you blackened (or should I say reddened) out the complete image title, I thought I could make out the word "Agent...." ;)

Anonymous said...

it says death of kate drew, but it's possible they're referring to how everyone thinks she's dead. the sound track has kate and nancy at the end so maybe it either ends with them together (maybe nancy rescues her?) or on a memory I think