Friday, May 8, 2009

Walking a Different Beat

Beacon Street Girls… Well, I’m quite sure some of you read the Dare To Play Blog that broached this subject. For those of you that haven’t, you should check out the post, there is some pretty insightful information about the series on the blog. Nikeheart’s analysis of the books is tried and true. In my own thoughts:

There is something stylistically different about the portrayal of these teen girls. In a world bloated with misrepresentations it is wonderful to read about characters that actually have depth. The author works quite hard to give your imagination all the necessary tools to make these girls a reality. Their feelings and actions come from places we know, their hopes and dreams parallel our own, but they exist in as unique identities, a quality too often missing from similarly-themed novels these days.

Nancy Drew delivers a foray into the world of mystery; stories of hauntings and kidnappings, lost treasure and stolen jewels. The Beacon Street Girls offers a different kind of suspense and mystery, one that seeks to show the humor and terror we find in everyday life. That roller coaster of emotions we ride each day, and the hardships we face to find the elusive treasures in our own lives; friends, family, and a place in this world.

I’m pretty interested in writing, so these kinds of things are nice to read. Ah well, I’m sure you get the picture. Check it out if you’ve got some time. But more importantly, what kind of books are you interested in?

-Novel-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the weekend puzzle coming soon???? ^.^

I love to read all sorts of stuff. I like fantasies (all about magic!) mysteries (of course!), and the occasional romantic-comedy type book; I do like the Twilight series (not the movie though!), I also enjoy the Gossip Girl books but I like the TV show better, I really enjoy classics (LOVED Gone With the Wind and Les Misérables), and I like action-filled books too. A great example of this is the Hunger Games, which I really loved! I also liked the Da Vinci Code. I like the whole sort of mythology-based genre, including the Percy Jackson and the Olympian series. In terms of books that I read for class, I really, really liked Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. I could go on all day.... :D BOOKS ARE AWESOME!!!

Anonymous said...

I like fantasy and science fiction, mixed with action, and a little romance. I love if the books i read have an allegorical element to them. i am homeschooled so i have a lot of time for reading... and also for playing nancy drew games!!!!!